Friday, March 9, 2012

Install Quake and Quake3 on Debian Linux

A long time ago, in a galaxy far away, I was an avid Quake, and later on Quake2 and Quake3 player and modder.

I seem to be getting old: I find myself reminiscing about all sorts of stuff, and Quake is one of my favorite subjects. In one of these nostalgia attacks I decided to relive the fun and install the games on my Linux laptop. I still have all the relevant CD-ROMs, so all that's needed is a suitable game engine. Quake and Quake3 are packaged in Debian, but Quake2 is not packaged.

Here's how to install Quake, with both mission packs:
  1. install the game engine:
    aptitude install quake
  2. mount the game CD-ROM (e.g. on /media/cdrom0)
  3. change directory to a temporary directory
  4. package the game data:
    game-data-packager quake -m /media/cdrom0
  5. repeat the process for both mission packs, i.e. mount the relevant CD-ROM and then issue these commands:
    game-data-packager quake -mp1 /media/cdrom0
    for the SOA mission pack, and
    game-data-packager quake -mp2 /media/cdrom0
    for the DOE mission pack



  6. install the generated packages (as root):
    dpkg -i quake-registered_29_all.deb
    dpkg -i quake-armagon_29_all.deb
    dpkg -i quake-dissolution_29_all.deb
    




And here's how to install Quake3:
  1. install the game engine:
    aptitude install quake3
  2. download the latest point release:
    cd ~/Downloads
    wget -c ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/quake3/linux/linuxq3apoint-1.32b-3.x86.run
  3. mount the game CD-ROM (e.g. on /media/cdrom0)
  4. change directory to a temporary directory
  5. package the game data:
    game-data-packager quake3 /media/cdrom0 ~/Downloads/linuxq3apoint-1.32b-3.x86.run
  6. install the generated package (as root):
    dpkg -i quake3-data_29_all.deb

Happy fragging!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks! I figured out how to get the proper arguments into game-data-packager to get my Q3 data in there. Nice

    IOU1

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Had problems with Debian Jessie cdrom automounting (No surprise here) I had to comment out the cdrom line in /etc/fstab and I had to enable kernel polling using "sudo echo 2000 > /sys/module/block/parameters/events_dfl_poll_msecs"

    It's supposedly an issue with udev in debian wheezy (7.X) and up.

    And the cdrom argument for me was /media/[username]/Quake3

    I hope that helps some people.

    ReplyDelete