Sunday, September 23, 2007

Printing Plain Text

Last time I wanted to print a document I got bitten quite hard. This time I was ready. Or so I thought. I mean, all I wanted to do was print a plain text document...

Way back when, during my time at the university, we used to print stuff with lpr, so I tried it out, and realized that it doesn't wrap around lines that are longer than the paper width. The document at hand contained newline characters only after each paragraph - it looked OK on screen, but horrible when printed out.

Well, I tried printing from within gedit (the default GNOME editor). It performs text wrapping on long lines at word boundaries, which is nice. But:
  • it prints the file name and page numbers on every page - and I couldn't find an obvious way to turn this feature off
  • there doesn't seem to be a simple way to insert a page break
  • it does not interpret or honor pagefeeds (^L characters) that are often used in plain text documents as page breaks
Next I tried gtklp: it can be made to wrap long lines, but not at word boundaries, so words get cut up between lines.

How about emacs? open the file, mark the whole document by hitting Ctrl-x-a , and then hit Meta-x (Alt-x on normal PC keyboards) and type fill-region - this does line wrapping at word boundaries, which makes the document printable with gtklp, or directly from emacs.

Except that region filling in emacs does some unexpected things - like indenting a whole paragraph if the first word is indented (I wanted just the first line to be indented). I could fix it by hand, but that didn't seem like the Right Thing To DoTM. There's probably a way to change this behavior, but I didn't bother looking for it.

I vaguely recalled using a2ps to convert plain text documents to PostScript, so I installed the a2ps package, read the manual page, and realized it didn't do line wrapping at word boundaries. Sigh.

So I searched for "word wrap a2ps", in the hope that I was missing something, and hit a blog entry which pointed to enscript as the right tool for the job.

The following command line does exactly what I want:

enscript --header='||Page $% of $=' --margin=72:72:72:72 -1 --word-wrap --media=A4 file.txt

(one inch margins on all sides, 1 up, word wrap, A4 page size, right aligned header showing page info)

Sheesh...

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post. Exactly what I needed ("a2ps word wrap")

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I also googled for "a2ps word wrap" only to get here...

    ReplyDelete