The system at hand consists of the following components:
- My laptop: a Compaq Presario 900 (with a non-original 80GB hard disk) running Debian GNU/Linux "Etch"
- My wife's laptop: an HP Pavilion dv6000 running Windows XP Home
- an ethernet crossover cable connecting the two laptops
- a Thomson DCM245 cable modem used to connect my laptop to the Internet
- an HP OfficeJet 5510 printer/copier/scanner/fax machine connected to my laptop
- a Gigapod III external HDD case containing a 60GB IDE hard disk, connected to my laptop via a PCMCIA USB 2.0 adapter.
My laptop is meant to host our family's on-line photo gallery website and serve as gateway for the Internet and the multi-function printer. It also hosts a backup system (Bacula) and a firewall (shorewall). I also use it as my personal desktop (mostly for surfing the Web).
Hope you'll find some of the stuff here useful.