Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Hello World!

Welcome to my on-line system administration diary.

The system at hand consists of the following components:
  • My laptop: a Compaq Presario 900 (with a non-original 80GB hard disk) running Debian GNU/Linux "Etch"
  • My wife's laptop: an HP Pavilion dv6000 running Windows XP Home
  • an ethernet crossover cable connecting the two laptops
  • a Thomson DCM245 cable modem used to connect my laptop to the Internet
  • an HP OfficeJet 5510 printer/copier/scanner/fax machine connected to my laptop
  • a Gigapod III external HDD case containing a 60GB IDE hard disk, connected to my laptop via a PCMCIA USB 2.0 adapter.
My wife uses her laptop primarily for writing Word documents, and surfing the Web.

My laptop is meant to host our family's on-line photo gallery website and serve as gateway for the Internet and the multi-function printer. It also hosts a backup system (Bacula) and a firewall (shorewall). I also use it as my personal desktop (mostly for surfing the Web).

Hope you'll find some of the stuff here useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment